Thursday, January 27, 2011

Brand or Bargain

Which one are you?
I'm a bargain type of person. It feels way better to get as much (or in most cases more) for a cheaper price. I don't know about you guys but for as long as I can remember, I'd always feel guilty for splurging on department store makeup and i still do today. When I first started liking makeup I thought high end was the only was to go, in fact i spent $90 on 3 things at Dior once... (that still haunts me today). What really bugs me about that is I don't even use the 2 eyeshadows i got... Pretty much everything that I've spent a lot of money on, I end up hating. Is anyone else like that??

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a Nars blush, or Urban Decays Primer Potion, but i feel like I'd just end up returning them since i can get a good enough (to me at least) dupe at elf or somewhere haha. I'm so cheap, but its so much more rewarding for me to find a cheaper, just as good product to replace those cult classics everyone loves. Not to mention, i get to share my finds with you and we all save money. :)
I thought this would be a good chance to share with everyone some cheap alternatives of some favorite products. (alternatives, not dupes)
Please note:
Not all of these products will necessarily work for you as they do for others, same goes for the higher end products. Everyone is different.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



First row: MUFE HD powder - Coastal Scents silica powder spheres
Second row: UDPP - Elf eyelid primer
Third row: Nars blush deep throat - Elf Studio Blush Candid Coral
Forth row: M.A.C. MSF soft and gentle - Hard Candy Honeymoon

10 comments:

  1. I am just like you are and always go for more affordable and have never been one to purchase department or more name brand make-up, just drugstore...but the Make Up For Ever HD translucent powder is the one thing I do own and it is my favorite...and for $30, it lasts almost a year being used 1-2 times every single day, so, it makes the price so worth it! :) I have tried the E.L.F. knockoff of the NARS blush and it is wonderful, but I haven't used any of the others...great post, Aubrey!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just ordered the coastal scents powder since apparently the only ingredent in MUFE HD powder is silica! :O So im really hoping that its the same thing!!! :) Then we only have to pay $6 dollars instead of $30 hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to go both ways. There are some things I have to buy name brand and others that don't bother me if it's a bargain brand. For example, I only use MAC face powder... but my blush was $1 at a bargain store. I think a mix is the right way for me. :)

    http://andohsofancy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a bargain hunter so i understand you view on getting something that's close to the pricey thing for a better price. So in my collection, i mostly have drugstore things with an occasional high-end product here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah i love to mix it up sometimes :) whenever i buy something from MAC i never return it. I always love everything i get from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love getting a bargain :) but i do enjoy splurging from time to time, although make up isn't something i normally spend a lot on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post. would love to see more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! i will keep a look out for more 'dupes'. i'm always searching for shades and products to replace the more expensive version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blush and eyeliner are prime in my book. i don't go out without it, and bargains are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wish we have Hard Candy over here :D! looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete